Skip to main content

Why am I alive?

(This is a writing assignment my case manager gave me after one of our regular meetings. I know he's trying to challenge me on my perception of myself. I was hesitant to even participate but once I gave it a shot I saw how much I got out of it than I believed I would initially.)




Well, the easiest answer to that is because Bennie and Patricia met, fell in love and had me. But, I’m sure there are plenty more reasons that answer the question why I’m STILL ALIVE.  Those, I believe, are more important…

I’m alive because my birth mother and father loved me enough to allow someone else to give me the life they felt they wouldn’t be able to.

I’m alive because I have an aunt and uncle who loved me enough to feed me and keep me healthy and happy.

I’m alive because at some point I learned to love myself enough to do what I knew would keep me healthy and happy.

I’m alive because at some point I began to love the things that life brings, the friends, experiences, road trips, etc. And I thrived on wanting to know what new thing was around the next bend or corner or door.

I’m alive, as I’ve learned in my study of History, because of ancestors who braved unthinkable conditions and treatment from the Middle Passage through the pain and humiliation of slavery at places like Middle Plantation.

I’m alive because of maids and cooks like my grandmothers, who kept their mouths shut in order to help make a living and care for children that they prayed would never have to face the same injustices in the world.

I’m alive because I have something outside of just myself to live for.  I have family and friends who would be deeply hurt if something were to happen to me. And if, at times, I find myself not so sure about whether or not to continue living I know I can be sure that their answer to that question will always and forever be “Yes.”

I’m alive because I have a man who loves me enough to look past my mistakes and bad choices, past my lies and half-truths, and is still able to love whatever he sees that’s left over.  He’s picked me up when I was lower than dirt and has kept me by his side in every moment whether I wanted it that way or not.  He’s kept faith in me when I’d given up and he continues to be my biggest fan in a sea of people that I don’t always have the guts to trust.

I’m alive because something deep down in me won’t allow me to give up. Believe me, there are days when I feel like throwing in every towel I can get my hands on. But for some reason, maybe a few hours or days or even weeks later, that spirit of giving up isn’t as vocal anymore and that other voice comes back just loud enough to get me off my ass and at it again.

I’m alive because crack couldn’t kill me as a baby, and because drugs aren’t stronger than my spirit even now.

I’m alive because The Almighty saw that my Aunt Bert deserved a son, and whether I see myself as a good son or not, I’m special to her and I give her life something that she gets from no one else.

I’m alive because I didn’t think HIV was a death sentence back in 2005, and I still don’t think it is today.  I made up in my mind back then that I still had things to do, and I’ve accomplished many of those things if I give myself the freedom to look back objectively.  I accepted what I needed to do, and I was determined to do it all. And I did.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Good Witch of the South, A Beautiful Black Glinda!

I'm not trying to weigh in on the reviews about The Wiz Live. I really don't care about what folks thought about the adaptations to the story or the way it was produced, etc. Everyone in it was pretty damn good, the costumes were amazing, and once again Black people have shown the world that we can take things that might be old and outdated and bring them back to life. The idea that an entirely new generation of Black children now have something they will beg their parents to let them watch and re-watch, like I did with The Wiz of the 70's, makes my world a little bit better place. 





For ME, the most memorable moment was when Glinda, The Good Witch of the South, descended from the sky in a golden glowing gown. Accompanied by two acrobatic beauties, also gilded in gold on each side of her, my girl Uzoamaka Nwanneka "Uzo" Aduba looked more like an African queen than a witch at all. Her hair was black and braided, and her curves were obvious and featured without apolo…

My Daddy is sick...

Today I got a message from one of my cousins that my Daddy was in ICU. I didn't know what to think then and I don't know what to think now. I've been to visit, and got to see my sisters and a few of my nieces and nephews while at the hospital. My Daddy and I have not always had the most loving and respectful of relationships, but as time has passed and we've both grown older, we have a new type of love and respect for one another that seems to work well.

Seeing him laying there weak and tired, really messed with me. But isn't this a part of life? Everyone we love will some day pass on, whether we're alive to witness it or not. My Daddy has been sick for quite a while now, but this is the first time he's unexpectedly been hospitalized and it's an unnerving situation to deal with.

There's nothing that I want or need to say to him that I've left unsaid. Every time we see one another we embrace and I always tell him that I love him. Years ago, that…

"Better You Than Me"

"Better You Than Me"

Maybe you can help me better understand
Why you act like a little boy and not a grown ass man
You try to run the TV, all day stuck on BOUNCE
And you're a fiend for the coffee, always begging for an ounce
You've claimed more than once all you do is "get money"
But I see you in here with nothing, so something is funny
At the top of your lungs you holler and yell
But make an excuse for your behavior, saying "This is jail."
You've got 6 kids, and 4 baby mamas
But you beg me for a click so you can call and cause drama.
You claim to be hard, snatching ass every day
But you expect me to be polite in all that I say
You're on your way back to prison and it's so sad to see
But I'd rather it be you going up the road than me.