Skip to main content

Focus

I've thought a lot about what I should be using this platform for, or what cause I should be championing. Often times I have told myself that I should just write about me, my story, in the hopes that it might help someone like me. But I've shot that down numerous times because of my own ego, or insecurities, or whatever the moments' vice might happen to be. Now though, I think I'm ready to bare it all, even more than I'm typically known for doing.

Bipolar disorder has changed my life. Even though I've probably suffered from it long before my diagnosis, the fact of knowing it has me contemplating my life and trying to see things in a different way. Dealing with mood swings that last weeks at a time and balancing emotions and rational thinking at any given moment can be challenging. But this is my life. This is what I have to work with and nobody but me has the obligation to make my life worth living but myself.

Taking things day to day might seem a simple task to some, but for me it's no easier than planning out a week or month ahead. I'm always worrying myself with thoughts of the next moment, minute, hour... And even though I have  household chores that always need to be done, I find myself bored out of my mind and seeking some type of companionship or entertainment other than the television.

I find myself allowing my mind to wander back into the space where I'm good enough to think about working every now and then. I think about applying for jobs, and sometimes even have the courage to actually send out a resume. I still hesitate at applications, paper or online, because most of those have that dreaded box that asks about a criminal background. That still holds me hostage. I don't know if it's really me holding myself hostage or if my history has truly been something that has made doors close for me. But either way, no matter what the reason for my situation being what it is, I can't go back and shouldn't continue looking back, either.

I have a lot of support, even though a majority of them are not here in the city where I live. I know I can call, text, Facebook Message, Tweet, or do whatever means of communication needed to get in contact with someone when I need to talk, vent, or just hear another person's voice. My husband is still my rock, and without him in my life I know things would be vastly different. He is my biggest cheerleader and does things for me that I wouldn't think to do for myself. My family is still my foundation, and as it grows bigger so does it's influence on me.

This is going to be a journey. I don't really know what it's going to hold in store for me but I have no choice but to face it head on and welcome it in it's entirety. Going back won't get me to the place I've dreamed for myself, and even though some things have not worked out the way I planned, I still have life to live and challenges to face. Who knows whether I might still make it to the same point, just from a different road.

Today was an alright day. It wasn't perfect, but I made it through. Every day won't be like today, but I still have to live them no matter what side of the good and bad spectrum they fall on. I just hope that as I go through these upcoming days, weeks, months and years, I can learn to control myself, my emotions, and thoughts. With the Ancestors watching and guiding me, I'm sure that will be no problem at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of happy.

Anyone who knows me or follows my blog knows that I have dealt with depression and mood swings that are not always be easiest things to cope with throughout my adult life. Today, I'm at a place where I can genuinely and sincerely say that I have been feeling happy a lot recently. Not much has changed in my situation. I'm still living at home. I'm still unemployed and on disability. I'm still single and not in any type of serious intimate relationship (at least not anything exclusive). But for some reason, I've been feeling happy. I don't know what has changed in my mental state, or if I'm just allowing myself to let go of all the negative and be content with what I have right now, but whatever it is that has me feeling a little more upbeat I'm definitely here for it. I still spend a lot of time in my room, downloading "movies" and being on social media. Some might say that's unhealthy, but I get a lot of interaction from my friends and fa

The fight of my life!

Since I've been back home in Portsmouth I've been taking time to just relax and get back to being at peace with my life. I've been able to see old friends, hang out, eat well, and fill my days with lots of laughter, which is good for the soul I know. I've been able to visit familiar places and have been greeted my familiar loving faces as well. It's truly been a blessing that I've been able to take a break and come home to hit the reset button in my life, and even more blessed that I have a husband who supports me in that, even if he (like me) misses being together each and every day. Well, there are two issues that I know I have to face head on, and I have not gotten any more at ease about dealing with them since I've been home than I was when I was living in Richmond. I've been HIV positive since 2005, and most of the past 10 years have gone by without complication or incident. I've been on a medication regimen of one pill a day, and more recentl

Living At Home...

Why are gay men so mean when it comes to how they feel about people living at home with their parents? I mean, I shouldn't care what folk say but sometimes it does bother me. These people hit me up for whatever reason but soon turn sour when they realize I can't host or don't have my own car. I understand that people who have their own work hard for it but that doesn't give you the right to put other people down because they are not where you are exactly at this point in life. In my situation, it upsets me that people just assume I'm a bum, and they don't care to even know what things happened in my life that led me to have to be at home right now. They don't care. It's just fucked up how people are so materialistic and shallow. Of course I would rather have my own place and my own car but that's just not in the cards for me at this point. I've had those things before and I know the work involved in having them. But not having them doesn't