Skip to main content

Working with White people...

I don't know why I keep going back to it. Well, actually I do. I gotta work to have a little something for myself. That's why. But, I always seem to find myself the only Black man in a work environment, especially at higher end restaurants. It used to make me laugh to see the great absence of Brothers in the food service industry, but now it makes me sick to my stomach.

I'm happy to have this job. The place is nice. The food is pretty impressive. But I've yet to see where the service is exemplary or unique. I know what I bring to the table when it comes to the type of service delivery I have. My one point of discomfort though... White people.

I should be used to them. I mean, after all, I've lived in America for all of my life, and there's no shortage of White folk in America...even in Portsmouth. I have simply never had a genuine level of interest when around White folk, and it lessens even more when they begin their conversations that are typically about nothing, based in nothing, and sprinkled with even more of nothing.

I know I'm not the "average" Black guy either, especially to them. I only know this because I've actually had it told to my face on more than on (or two dozen) occasion(s). That "compliment" I've always found a little bothersome anyway. That, and "You speak so well" are the ones that grind my gears the most. It's not the compliment itself, but the underlying thought or belief that most other Black people speak badly that upsets me.

The only other Black man at my job is the dishwasher(of course). And there is this Black girl that is a food runner, but to me she's kinda one of them because she's not a Cavalier Manor, Portsmouth, I. C. Norcom, or Fisk Black girl. I'm not questioning her Blackness, so before y'all come at me with all that bullshit just pump your brakes. But I'm saying that she simply seems like one of those Black girls who lived in a White neighborhood and had White friends at the White schools she attended. That's just very different(exact opposite) from my experience growing up and during my time in college as well. I just find it surprising that so many Brothers and Sisters live a life without the beautiful connections that exist between people of African descent, whether friends or family.

But, I'm just gonna keep my great-grandmother in my head when I'm there. If she managed to do the domestic type of work she did way back then, I can put on a smile and bite my tongue now in order to get me a few of the things i want and need. I've already proven to myself that I can get my foot in the door. I've already heard how impressive my resume and skills are after only a few days on the job. Now, it's just a matter of me taking my time and only focusing on one day at a time when it comes to my expectations of the job, or of the other people I work with. And that's not too much to ask of myself.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of happy.

Anyone who knows me or follows my blog knows that I have dealt with depression and mood swings that are not always be easiest things to cope with throughout my adult life. Today, I'm at a place where I can genuinely and sincerely say that I have been feeling happy a lot recently. Not much has changed in my situation. I'm still living at home. I'm still unemployed and on disability. I'm still single and not in any type of serious intimate relationship (at least not anything exclusive). But for some reason, I've been feeling happy. I don't know what has changed in my mental state, or if I'm just allowing myself to let go of all the negative and be content with what I have right now, but whatever it is that has me feeling a little more upbeat I'm definitely here for it. I still spend a lot of time in my room, downloading "movies" and being on social media. Some might say that's unhealthy, but I get a lot of interaction from my friends and fa

The fight of my life!

Since I've been back home in Portsmouth I've been taking time to just relax and get back to being at peace with my life. I've been able to see old friends, hang out, eat well, and fill my days with lots of laughter, which is good for the soul I know. I've been able to visit familiar places and have been greeted my familiar loving faces as well. It's truly been a blessing that I've been able to take a break and come home to hit the reset button in my life, and even more blessed that I have a husband who supports me in that, even if he (like me) misses being together each and every day. Well, there are two issues that I know I have to face head on, and I have not gotten any more at ease about dealing with them since I've been home than I was when I was living in Richmond. I've been HIV positive since 2005, and most of the past 10 years have gone by without complication or incident. I've been on a medication regimen of one pill a day, and more recentl

Living At Home...

Why are gay men so mean when it comes to how they feel about people living at home with their parents? I mean, I shouldn't care what folk say but sometimes it does bother me. These people hit me up for whatever reason but soon turn sour when they realize I can't host or don't have my own car. I understand that people who have their own work hard for it but that doesn't give you the right to put other people down because they are not where you are exactly at this point in life. In my situation, it upsets me that people just assume I'm a bum, and they don't care to even know what things happened in my life that led me to have to be at home right now. They don't care. It's just fucked up how people are so materialistic and shallow. Of course I would rather have my own place and my own car but that's just not in the cards for me at this point. I've had those things before and I know the work involved in having them. But not having them doesn't