Skip to main content

Does the world want me to be fake?

I know I have my own set of problems and issues.  I've come to the point where I can admit that to myself or others who inquire about them.  But, where I still find myself stuck is when folk expect me to be "positive" or to have some type of "confidence" in my future.  How can I be positive when I feel like shit?  But, I guess that's just how we do things in America, we fake it until we make it.  But, if I'm being fake as hell and really not expressing anything, who does that help?  Not me.

I've been a failure my entire life.  I've never done anything right.  Either I've taken too long finishing college, or I haven't had the right amount of patience and tolerance with a job that others felt I should have stuck with.  Time and time again I simply see myself in a bad light and I really don't know how to begin to change it or even if it can be changed.

I've been told that I'm too hard on myself.  I can understand what people mean when they say that, but I don't understand what I am supposed to do in order to not be that way.  I've been told that I think too much.  I understand what people mean when they say that, but I am at a loss when it comes to trying to put that into action and not think as much. Thinking is all I do.  I don't know how to live in this world and not think.  Part of what's gotten me in trouble before has been my inability to think before I speak, and now I'm being told not to think too much.

I'm told that I need to let my past stay where it is, but how is that possible when every time I try to go find a job my past is the exact thing that people use to determine whether or not I'm worthy of working to feed myself or to contribute to my own life.  Just being real, that shit hurts and it makes me feel like I'd be better off dead or simply gone away from society and judgment all together.

I feel like my boyfriend is destroying his life by trying to keep me around, and it hurts me to know that. He works so hard each and every day, but because I'm here it's almost as if everything he does means nothing because he's lost it all trying to take care of us both.  I know that he loves me, but I don't want him to love me to the point where he doesn't live the life he wants for himself.  I wouldn't want that for anyone.


Comments

  1. Dude, coming from someone who has failed quite a bit in life, don't give up on yourself. I am a black pilot. Took me nine years to get there, yet here I am. It's difficult finding yourself in this culture, but you must find what you like and what you want to do. No matter what it is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Daddy is sick...

Today I got a message from one of my cousins that my Daddy was in ICU. I didn't know what to think then and I don't know what to think now. I've been to visit, and got to see my sisters and a few of my nieces and nephews while at the hospital. My Daddy and I have not always had the most loving and respectful of relationships, but as time has passed and we've both grown older, we have a new type of love and respect for one another that seems to work well.

Seeing him laying there weak and tired, really messed with me. But isn't this a part of life? Everyone we love will some day pass on, whether we're alive to witness it or not. My Daddy has been sick for quite a while now, but this is the first time he's unexpectedly been hospitalized and it's an unnerving situation to deal with.

There's nothing that I want or need to say to him that I've left unsaid. Every time we see one another we embrace and I always tell him that I love him. Years ago, that…

The Good Witch of the South, A Beautiful Black Glinda!

I'm not trying to weigh in on the reviews about The Wiz Live. I really don't care about what folks thought about the adaptations to the story or the way it was produced, etc. Everyone in it was pretty damn good, the costumes were amazing, and once again Black people have shown the world that we can take things that might be old and outdated and bring them back to life. The idea that an entirely new generation of Black children now have something they will beg their parents to let them watch and re-watch, like I did with The Wiz of the 70's, makes my world a little bit better place. 





For ME, the most memorable moment was when Glinda, The Good Witch of the South, descended from the sky in a golden glowing gown. Accompanied by two acrobatic beauties, also gilded in gold on each side of her, my girl Uzoamaka Nwanneka "Uzo" Aduba looked more like an African queen than a witch at all. Her hair was black and braided, and her curves were obvious and featured without apolo…

"Better You Than Me"

"Better You Than Me"

Maybe you can help me better understand
Why you act like a little boy and not a grown ass man
You try to run the TV, all day stuck on BOUNCE
And you're a fiend for the coffee, always begging for an ounce
You've claimed more than once all you do is "get money"
But I see you in here with nothing, so something is funny
At the top of your lungs you holler and yell
But make an excuse for your behavior, saying "This is jail."
You've got 6 kids, and 4 baby mamas
But you beg me for a click so you can call and cause drama.
You claim to be hard, snatching ass every day
But you expect me to be polite in all that I say
You're on your way back to prison and it's so sad to see
But I'd rather it be you going up the road than me.