Skip to main content

The Good Witch of the South, A Beautiful Black Glinda!

I'm not trying to weigh in on the reviews about The Wiz Live. I really don't care about what folks thought about the adaptations to the story or the way it was produced, etc. Everyone in it was pretty damn good, the costumes were amazing, and once again Black people have shown the world that we can take things that might be old and outdated and bring them back to life. The idea that an entirely new generation of Black children now have something they will beg their parents to let them watch and re-watch, like I did with The Wiz of the 70's, makes my world a little bit better place. 





For ME, the most memorable moment was when Glinda, The Good Witch of the South, descended from the sky in a golden glowing gown. Accompanied by two acrobatic beauties, also gilded in gold on each side of her, my girl Uzoamaka Nwanneka "Uzo" Aduba looked more like an African queen than a witch at all. Her hair was black and braided, and her curves were obvious and featured without apology. 




We all know she's a brilliant actress, but I had no idea she could sing. Now, I'm not saying she's a Jennifer Hudson in The Color Purple type of songstress, but Uzo can more than carry a tune. She really did justice to "If You Believe". And what I liked even more was how she, as Glinda, took away the importance of the shoes and let Dorothy, and us, know that the power has been and always will be within us all the time. 

What I found to be most important to me about that whole moment, was that the world got to see Glinda, the most positive and beautiful character in the story, as a dark skinned, big lipped, gap-toothed, curly haired, and curvaceous Black woman. For many little Black girls, that's a big fucking deal! Hell, for this 33 year old gay Black man it's a big fucking deal. 



As a people, our beauty ideals and standards have been screwed with and screwed up. I'll be the first to admit, that I suffered from having the color complex for a very long time, especially when it came to Black women. I literally had to study myself out of it, and change my ways of thinking on purpose. I had to throw away someone else's idea of what beautiful might have been, and understand that my sisters, mothers, aunts, cousins, friends, grandmothers, nieces and daughters were ALL beautiful.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Things I'm Proud Of...

My bro suggested this writing prompt to me last night, so let me give it a try. I'm proud of the fact that I graduated from college. It was a struggle and I really didn't have anyone to go before me to set the stage, but though it all I stuck to it and accomplished my goal. My degree proudly hangs in my aunt's house and I have a copy in my room to remind me of what I've done. It was one of my proudest moments even though I didn't get to attend my own graduation (another story). I'm proud of how I'm dealing with my mental issues. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder years ago and it's been a struggle to cope with the ways my emotions and my mood changes. For the past year or two I've done well though. It's not an easy fight but I'm committed to beating this thing and not allowing it to ruin my life or my relationships. I'm proud of myself for starting a fledgling business. It's only a resume writing business but it's somethi...

Still me. Fuck you.

I Miss

I miss falling asleep with his locs in my face And my hand rubbing across his belly I miss white seedless grapes, and Welch's Fruit Snacks And my favorite, peanut butter and jelly I miss all my music, Jill Scott and Badu Tupac, Outkast and Queen Bey I miss having windows, seeing the trees For real I must miss being free I miss Uncle Wendell, may he rest in peace I miss my girlfriends and my crew I miss Aunt Bert's breakfast, bacon, eggs and toast I miss looking up and seeing the sky is blue I miss all my clothes, my closet and my room I miss all my books and my art I miss seeing frames with pics of my family Even though they are etched in my heart I miss being able to walk to the store Or to the field to watch the boys and girls play I miss all the familiar slang and speech Like "jamk", "lightning bugs" and "Out the way" I miss everything and almost everyone My dreams remind me of it every night But soon enoug...