Skip to main content

The National Museum of African American History and Culture

A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of going to DC and finally getting to visit the National Museum of African American History and Culture. I really enjoyed myself. It was great to finally have a place where the story of my people, Black people, can be told for all to come and see. I love museums and this place definitely does not disappoint. As a student of history, I was really happy to see how much information they put into this building and how they tried very hard to tell our story with dignity and respect, while keeping intact not so popular truths of our place here in America.

The building itself is beautiful, and placed in a very prominent place on the National Mall right next to the Washington Monument and close to the White House. It definitely holds prime real estate in the center of DC. The lobby is a clean and open space, with the information desk dominating the first floor. There's a large square elevator that takes visitors to the bottom level where the tour begins, and one works their way upwards, following the story of African Americans in this country. There are objects from Nat Turner, Harriet Tubman, the Tuskegee Airmen, Emmit Till, and countless others.

It was a real pleasure to see so many things that had been gathered from the homes of normal people that so beautifully told the African American story. There were a lot of things that just came from regular people, not always big named famous persons from history. I almost feel like I rushed my way though in order to make sure I got to see it all, but I was pleasantly surprised that I knew much of the information they put into the museum, and I felt like my education on our history has been a very good one. Of course there were things that the museum didn't go into, but it's a space that can change and adapt with time and I look forward to seeing what kind of additions and changes are made in the future.

I just wanted to write a little about my experience and share some photos with my readers. If you ever get a chance to go visit, please do. It's a wonderful place to spend a few hours and it's full of interesting things. You'll definitely see something that makes the experience personal and you'll hopefully learn a few things while there as well.

Headgear, gloves and robe of Muhammad Ali

Costumes from the Broadway production of The Wiz.

Stool from the Greensboro lunch counter sit-ins. 

Picture of the Fisk Jubilee Singers

Exhibit on Brown vs. Board of Education with the original baby dolls used in the race experiment.

Shawl worn by Harriet Tumban, given to her by Queen Victoria

Painting by Aaron Douglas

Exterior view of the museum

Guard tower from Angola Prison

Training plane flown by Tuskegee Airmen

Inaugural gown of Johnetta B Cole from her time as President of Bennett College 

Beautiful fountain in a contemplation room

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Things I'm Proud Of...

My bro suggested this writing prompt to me last night, so let me give it a try. I'm proud of the fact that I graduated from college. It was a struggle and I really didn't have anyone to go before me to set the stage, but though it all I stuck to it and accomplished my goal. My degree proudly hangs in my aunt's house and I have a copy in my room to remind me of what I've done. It was one of my proudest moments even though I didn't get to attend my own graduation (another story). I'm proud of how I'm dealing with my mental issues. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder years ago and it's been a struggle to cope with the ways my emotions and my mood changes. For the past year or two I've done well though. It's not an easy fight but I'm committed to beating this thing and not allowing it to ruin my life or my relationships. I'm proud of myself for starting a fledgling business. It's only a resume writing business but it's somethi...

Still me. Fuck you.

I Miss

I miss falling asleep with his locs in my face And my hand rubbing across his belly I miss white seedless grapes, and Welch's Fruit Snacks And my favorite, peanut butter and jelly I miss all my music, Jill Scott and Badu Tupac, Outkast and Queen Bey I miss having windows, seeing the trees For real I must miss being free I miss Uncle Wendell, may he rest in peace I miss my girlfriends and my crew I miss Aunt Bert's breakfast, bacon, eggs and toast I miss looking up and seeing the sky is blue I miss all my clothes, my closet and my room I miss all my books and my art I miss seeing frames with pics of my family Even though they are etched in my heart I miss being able to walk to the store Or to the field to watch the boys and girls play I miss all the familiar slang and speech Like "jamk", "lightning bugs" and "Out the way" I miss everything and almost everyone My dreams remind me of it every night But soon enoug...